HomeNamokar MantraJain Dharma TirthankaraPilgrimageOrganizationFestival   LiteratureAhimsaNews

Home>  Pilgrimage>>  Taranga Jain Temple
  

Location:  Taranga Jain Temles are located at Taranga Hill; Taluka: Kheralu; Dist.: Mehsana; State: Gujarat. Taranga (Taranga Tirtha) is a Digambar Jain and Shwetambar pilgrimage center, in Mehsana district, Gujarat. The idol of Shri Ajitnath Bhagwan, about 2.75 meter (9 feet) in Swet varn  is present in the Shwetambar Jain temple and the idol of Shri Adishwar Bhagwan is present in Digambar Jain temple.  The pilgrimage compound consists of 14 temples in all, five of which are from the Digambar sect. 

 

  Taranaga is a siddh kshetra. It is said that 35,000,000 muni including Vardutt and Sagardutt attained nirvana from this place. The two hillocks named Kotishila and Sidhhshila have idols of Bhagwan Neminath and Bhagwan Mallinath of Vikram 1292. There are 14 Digambar Jain temples in the foothills. Digamabar jain dharamshala is at the foothills.
  This pilgrimage  was  known as Tarvur, Taravar Nagar, Tarangiri and Tarangarh etc in olden days. According to the holy book "Kumarpal Pratibodh", in VNS 1710 (VS 1241) written by Achrya Shri Somprabhsurishwar a description is given about the establishment of this jain temple.  Under the inspiration and instructions of Kalikalasarvajna Acharyashri Hemchandracharya, this temple was built in the year 1200 of the Vikram era. Inscriptions present on the platform in two corners of the temple says that Sanghpati Shri Vastupal has established two idols of Shri Adinath Prabhu. Nagendra Gatchhacharya Shri Vijaysensuriji performed Pratishtha of these idols on Falgun Shukla 2 of VNS 1753 (VS 1284). Reclamation of this teerth performed by the hands of Acharya Shri Somsundarsuriji in VNS 1948 (VS 1479) built by Shri Govind Shreshthi of Idar. Last reclamation work took place in VNS 2111 (VS 1642) by the hands of Shri Vijaysensuriji.    
  In the center of the main vast square of the length of 230 ft and the breadth 230 ft , this temple is 50 ft long, 100 ft broad and 142 ft high . It has seven domes. On the right hand side of the temple, there are foot-idols of Bhagawan Ajitnath and of the 20 wondering Bhagawan and on the left hand side, there are a temple of Gaumukhji, the Samavasaran (the open lecture-hall), and the Jambudvipa painting. On the outer platform of the main temple, there are idols of Padmavatidevi and Kumarpal Maharaja.
   During the last major renovation works the roofs and the stone carvings on the outer walls were cleared of thick layers of white paint. In VS 1479, Govindbhai Shreshthi of Idar, has renovated this temple.  
 Managing Trust:  Shri Anandji Kalyanji Shwetambar murtipoojak Jain Pedhi and Shri Digambar Jain Kothi, Taranga Temple Siddh Kshetra

[Namokar Mantra ] [Dig.Jain Dharma ] [Tirhankaras ] [Jain Pilgrimage ] [Organizations ] [Festivals ] [ Literature ] [Ahimsa ] [ News] [Railways ] [ Airways] [ Weather ] [ Contact Us ] [Advertise ] [ About Us ] [ Disclaimer ]  

Site copyright 2003, Digambarjainonline.com All Rights Reserved.

Best viewed at 800 x 600 screen size